Vega Baja from its shingled rooftops and the clouds

Vega Baja

Vega Baja from its shingled rooftops and the clouds is a bilingual illustrated guide to the historic buildings of Vega Baja, most of them built in the last quarter of the 19th century (1875-1899). A broad historical and architectural description is provided for each building, using as a main reference the Historical-Architectural Inventory of the Historic Zone of Vega Baja, approved in 2004 by the Institute for Puerto Rican Culture and the Planning Board. The guide also provides illustrated information about a number of sites that serve as open spaces for relaxation, enjoyment and learning, because of their ecological importance. Finally, it includes a review of the municipality’s urban history to contextualize how the now-historical buildings arose. Some of the sites presented in the publication are: the José F. Náter González Plaza, the Phoenix Theater, the Tortuguero Lagoon, the Casa Alonso Museum and the Monument to the Man of the Sugar Cane. (Summary extracted from the guide)

Vega Baja is a municipality located in the north-central part of the island that, according to historians, was founded in 1776. It is known as the “City of Melao Melao,” referring to its past as a sugar cane producer. Among other things, Vega Baja is known for its wealth of archaeological sites. The site that came to be called the Indian Route was discovered here and shows evidence of the Ostionoid culture. According to archaeologists who have worked in the discovery of the indigenous remains buried in Vega Baja, it is a world-class site and is possibly the most complete study of prehistoric human remains in Puerto Rico. The publication is available from the Endowment. (Online Encyclopedia of Puerto Rico, 2017)

 

 

 

Leave a comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.